Ridwan Chowdhury
2nd Year Civil Engineering Undergrad
Lassonde School of Engineering, York
4700 Keele St, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Monday, February 1st, 2016


TO: Dr. Riley Beddoe, PhD, Assistant Professor
FR: Ridwan Chowdhury, 2nd Year Civil Undergrad
RE: Letter of Reference, Jonathan Caceres


Dear Dr. Beddoe,

It is with great confidence that I write this letter of reference to recommend Jonathan Caceres for a summer research position at Lassonde School of Engineering.  As a valued member of my civil engineering design team, Mr. Caceres has contributed greatly in the preliminary design process of a water main pipeline project at Glendon Campus at York University.

His accuracy and information retention when conducting research independently on cathodic protection methods via anodes was highly apparent when discussing technical information with our client this past week. His teamwork has also been much appreciated throughout the group as he is always available when needed and can be relied upon in completing any assigned task. He is friendly, approachable, and allows for a positive work environment, increasing our group’s morale. He often battles through times of low motivation, but has proactively made changes in his attitude by becoming more goal-oriented and improve his desire to take initiative. Recently, he has decided to take responsibility for communicating any and all team concerns to our assigned supervisor.

Mr. Caceres has also a wealth of real world experience after achieving a 3-year diploma in Civil Engineering Technology from Seneca College. His most recent position as a field technician for Bridge Check Canada, an engineering consulting company specializing in materials engineering and construction, has added to his repertoire of technical experience and skills. He has displayed his ability to grasp concepts quickly when assigned responsibilities in concrete testing as well as bridge condition surveying.

In addition to his work and ongoing pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, he also uses his improving organizational and time management skills to schedule volunteering in a leadership role as a soccer coach for children under the age of 14. Mr. Caceres has displayed exemplary qualities in his professional and student life and I can unreservedly recommend him for a summer research position at Lassonde. He will be an asset to any employer.

If you have any further questions regarding Mr. Caceres’ suitability to this position please do not hesitate to contact me at ridman@my.yorku.ca.

Sincerely,

Ridwan Chowdhury

Ridwan Chowdhury



Marked Rubric for Reference Letter




Context:

For assignment 2 in ENG 2003, we were required to pick a partner in tutorial and conduct a mock interview, learning as much about their skills, experiences, and qualifications as possible. We were notified about this tutorial activity beforehand so that we could prepare some questions that would help the discussion. Using the notes and information of our partner gathered, we were to write a reference letter assuming our partner was applying to a summer lab position at York.


Reflection
_______________

I posted the marked rubric for this assignment to help reflect on what I did well and what I could improve for the future. The TA mentioned that I did not specify a clear relationship with Jonathan, with whom I was writing the letter for. I thought that mentioning that he was one of my group members in a recent Design project would suffice, however, the TA advised that it is crucial to note the exact length of my relationship with him.

I am still left wondering whether as the writer of this reference letter, if it is also a part of my job to look at the job description and mention things that correlate with his skills and experiences, and tailor it as if I was tailoring a resume or cover letter for my own job applications. On the other hand, should I just be focusing on my experiences with him and selling him through my interaction with him on a personal and professional level.


Overall, I learned a great deal about the questions that go into learning about someone’s experiences and skills, and that interviewers don’t exactly have the easiest job. Nevertheless, Jonathan made it fairly easy to make him look good as he had a plethora of experiences and abilities to describe in my letter of reference. I think this is an important concept to know because as a co-op student trying to secure my first work term, I require these communication skills for interviews and writing resumes and cover letters to be able to convince the employer that my potential is worth investing in.

Leave a Comment...

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments